Oops, I think i was a little to quick for response on that one.

Im now adding in the Aboriginal lands on Vancouver Island, so im seeing lots
of variety.

Basically, we should treat this boundary ... no matter where it is...
land/water / straddling provinces/countries .. or thin strips of land as it
is, in face value.

Even if the boundary goes over provincial parks. ... because the truth is,
we have no idea what the original 'intent' of whoever it was that drew in
those lines were.  And we dont know the sources eithor.

Sometimes boundaries are drawn to reflect the curves of water, or mountain
peaks, and very interesting shapes. ... like the one here looks to be in the
shape of an animal head.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=55940136

But anyway, there hasn't been much activity about the tag.  Probably because
it is a difficult question :)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Daboriginal_lands

So i would recommend leaving the polygons the way they are and making sure
to NOT have it touch land features (because it's invisable) ...    But of
course, if signs are seen, they should be mapped, as it helps.
In some cases the roads are owned by the local town, others they are not.
(if there are signs marking access restrictions, then they should be mapped)
otherwise, default road types seems to be the way togo.

..  So anyway, whats great about this dataset, is that for the 1st time, we
can have a map that shows all the boundaries everywhere :) ..

Once the cities/town donates their property boundaries file, we could then
see discrepancies. .. but again, we have no idea on what is more accurate or
the method used.

It is worth noting however, that GeoBase / Natural resources Canada is
constantly improving on this dataset.   And there are DIFF files that will
become available.   The version i used as 2_0 .  there is a whole read-up on
it
http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/data/admin/alta/description.html

and details of meta data where April 7th 2010 was the last update, and it
looks to be monthly updates.
http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/metadata.do?id=37285

So my summery of the english translation is that ... its ... well, simply
all over the map. :)

Fortunately, it is listed in the canvec set as nodes, so that will be 1 way
to cross them off the list. (as it can be viewed with Toporama)

cheers,
Sam

P.S. For the encoding error, if anyone wants to convert the set again, they
are welcome to :-) and i'll just hide this set once a better version is
available.