Awesome, thanks.

Sam

On 10-11-18 09:41 PM, Adam Dunn wrote:
This kind of depends on quality of each source (has the lake been modified since either OSM or Canvec traced it?).

I'll assume you're talking about a case where Canvec has better positional data than OSM, but you don't want to wipe out OSM completely, or it could be a while before you import the lake in other tiles (some lakes can span many Canvec tiles and we don't want "half-lakes" on our maps!)

First check the lake in OSM to make sure there aren't any interesting tags that could get lost (boat launches, alternative names, etc.)

If there's nothing of particular interest in OSM currently, what I do is "split" (keyboard command 'p' in josm) the lake in OSM and Canvec at the boundary of the tile, then delete the OSM data in the tile I'm importing, and the line of the lake along the boundary in Canvec. So instead of having two closed lakes (two "O" figures"), I now have two non-closed lakes (one will be a "U" shape, the other an upside-down "U"). Then merge the nodes (keyboard 'm') and combine the ways (keyboard 'c').

In the end you'll have one lake that is using Canvec data where you just imported, and original OSM data where you haven't yet. When you get around to importing the other areas, you split/merge/combine again so the whole lake is now Canvec sourced.

Adam