Thanks for the background - that explains why some things are the way they
are and some of the oddities.

For connector ways, I'd estimate that 95% of them are for very small bodies
of water without names or for rivers, where it does make sense to talk about
the river flowing through. For the relatively rare case of a large body of
water I could then revert it to sub_sea=*

A typical example of a connector waterway is

NHN had no ways tagged as waterway=river, all the rivers were tagged as
waterway=stream or sub_sea=stream. An example of this is the Indian River,
which was tagged as sub_sea for approximately 20 km and then was a mix of
sub_sea=stream and waterway=stream for the remainder.

I've found Bing's imagery in rural areas is often the same as that on the BC
openmaps server and very accurately aligned, so I was planning on using
Bing. Attribution will be preserved

Anyways, back to the concerns about connector waterways. What would you
think about if I added in with step 5 reverting sections of waterways under
large lakes to sub_sea?

I know that after doing all of these steps that some waterways may be
mistagged, but it should be significantly fewer than currently and after
simplification and joining named ways together it should be easier to go in
and edit.