I'm at work and going on vacation so I can't give a detailed answer for a few
days, but this might help

Once the tiles are made you can serve the directories with apache or another
web server.

xjjk from the OSM IRC channel has a parallized version of gdal2tiles which can
significantly help processing times if you have a multi-core CPU.

You first need to set up gdal and gdal python bindings. You also need PIL for
the antialias mode which offers the best tradeoffs between quality and speed
for resizing methods.

gdal2tiles is reportedly significantly slower then it could be when compaired
to some non-public tools that do the same work.

Just for reference, I had gdal2tiles running for 1-2 weeks on my 6 core CPU when
doing the low quality surrey images and estimated it would take >1 year on my 3
core athelon II for the 200 GB+ high quality version