On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM, penorman <penor...@mac.com> wrote:
> I'm at work and going on vacation so I can't give a detailed answer for a
> few days, but this might help

No problem, any help is appreciated.

> Once the tiles are made you can serve the directories with apache or another
> web server.

Ah, okay I didn't realize it was that simple.

> xjjk from the OSM IRC channel has a parallized version of gdal2tiles which
> can significantly help processing times if you have a multi-core CPU.

Would that be maptiler?

I've got a dual quad-core Xeon Mac Pro with 14 gb of ram so a
parallelized version would be a must. :)

> You first need to set up gdal and gdal python bindings. You also need PIL
> for the antialias mode which offers the best tradeoffs between quality and
> speed for resizing methods.
> gdal2tiles is reportedly significantly slower then it could be when
> compaired to some non-public tools that do the same work.
> Just for reference, I had gdal2tiles running for 1-2 weeks on my 6 core CPU
> when doing the low quality surrey images and estimated it would take >1 year
> on my 3 core athelon II for the 200 GB+ high quality version

I'll have to give it a shot and see how long it takes to process some
portion of my GeoTiff.  The tiled GeoTiff is about 16 GB, where the
original MrSid is 1.9GB.  Might be doable. :)

Thanks!
Tyler