> > There is a POI identified as "Davis". I lived in this city for over thirty
> > years;
> > no passenger train ever stopped there, and I never saw a freight train stop
> > either. There *is* a steel box containing rail equipment of some sort
> > there, and
> > there has always
> > been a sign there identifying it as "CN Davis". But no station.
> Can you link to that location? From you description it sounds it's some kind
> of freight rail infrastructure. When doing rail mapping in Montreal I noticed
> that some of the freight infrastructure, like yards, were improperly tagged
> with station. I believe this is a classic case of tagging for the renderer:
> people want "CN rail yard" or whatever to show up on Mapnik and thus tag it
> as a station. I remove/fix those tags when I come across them.
>
> Best,
>  Harald.

 FYI, I work for a railway for what it's worth. Pretty much every 10
miles or so is a named location. I wouldn't tag it as a station but a
POI seems appropriate to me as a railroader :-) Rail fans would also use
the POI as reference points for photography and video.

        Trains communicating with the dispatcher use these locations to
identify their location.

        Now for the non-railway sort of folk I would think it would be of
little interest.

        Us railway folks, these name POI are part of our general conversation,
such as 73 is approaching Ridout.

        The names are chosen  using a similar process as say bridge names. The
could refer to a respected employee or as a memorial to an employee who
died while on duty. Around Ingersoll are Blain and Lihou who where
engineers who died in a head on train collision.

http://www.railfame.ca/sec_ind/heroes/en_2002_Lihou_Blain.asp

        Andrew