I think I used maps generated from OSM data on my Lowrance GPS before I knew what OSM was. I was looking for freely available maps of Poland for a trip I did there with my family a few years ago. More recently I used similar maps on my Garmin when my wife and I traveled to Prague and Poland. A little after that I created an account on OSM and uploaded my first GPS track of a forestry & 4x4 road near Lac Le Jeune in BC. Even more recently geocaching.com removed the Google satellite image option from their mapping, however I found the OSM generated maps to be superior in many ways and got interested in the project again. Since then I have been uploading all my old GPS tracks from our hiking/biking/4x4 & sledding trips in the Interior.

In the Lac Le Jeune area where we like to explore I have been frustrated by the lack of detail of commercial and even the Ibycus topo maps. The best thing about OSM is that I can change that and add roads and trails in the area that interests me and others do the same. Now when I download maps for my Garmin from osmmaps.com I see the roads and trails whene we go exploring. It's a win all round.

Cheers
Steve