Hi Richard et al,

So, I've used osm2pgsql to import the canada.osm file into PostgreSQL:

        osm2pgsql --latlong -d speed_limits_canada canada.osm -U postgres

Seems to have done the job:

Node stats: total(132433150), max(1873380872) in 1150s
Way stats: total(8281053), max(176854853) in 1235s
Relation stats: total(103361), max(2363373) in 742s

Writing way (8281k)

Writing relation (103344)
Committing transaction for planet_osm_point
Committing transaction for planet_osm_roads
Committing transaction for planet_osm_line
Sorting data and creating indexes for planet_osm_point
Sorting data and creating indexes for planet_osm_roads
Sorting data and creating indexes for planet_osm_line
Committing transaction for planet_osm_polygon
Sorting data and creating indexes for planet_osm_polygon
Indexes on  planet_osm_roads created  in 99s
Completed planet_osm_roads
Indexes on  planet_osm_point created  in 564s
Completed planet_osm_point
Indexes on  planet_osm_line created  in 808s
Completed planet_osm_line
Indexes on  planet_osm_polygon created  in 819s
Completed planet_osm_polygon

Osm2pgsql took 4972s overall

Not being familiar with OSM at all, I was wondering, can someone suggest the
simplest way (query) to get  the max speed of the nearest road to a given point?