Canvec data appears to be produced with a maximum of 2K nodes per way. I assume
that this was an attempt by the Canvec people to meet the max 2K node criteria
of the OSM database.  When the split occurs in a way that is a member of a
multipolygon, there's not a problem.  Otherwise, as Paul has pointed out,
broken data may be uploaded inadvertently.  In JOSM, a quick check for this is
to use the search function with the string "nodes: 2000-".