On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Mike Linksvayer <m...@gondwanaland.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:

[ ... ]
>> Again, any government open data publication in Canada must be licensed
>> ODC-PDDL, or else it is a not-open-enough-closed-data-failure.
>

> I agree that all PSI ought be public domain, with ODC-PDDL or CC0 or some
> other public domain instrument, since the sane default isn't the default.
> But calling attribution-only terms a closed-data-failure (BTW, what does
> that make ODbL? Is OSM the only entity in the world that can use non public
> domain terms and not be a closed data fail?) seems over the top.

Government Open Data, and OpenStreetMap Open Data are different
kettles of fish.  And so different goal posts apply to each.

Government Open Data is more-correctly Citizen Open Data. For that
same government to attempt to then restrict the use of that data by
the citizens who own it, and pay for it (and, in fact who own the
government :-) ) well, that's the part that is over the top.  :-)

OpenStreetMap data is created by the OpenStreetMap contributors.
Where those same contributors decide to place themselves, as a group,
along the Open Spectrum has nothing to do with government, er,
*strikeover* citizen data.  It might also be a a long-standing and
heated discussion amongst those same contributors.  :-)

Thanks, Mike.  Cheers.