Yes CanVec data is compatible with OSM as there was an agreement between
the Canadian gov and osm in the past. NRCan even serves up osm files for
their CanVec Data here: http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/OSM/pub/

#24 is to go deeper as in validating that data imported/mapped in 22 and 23
as some mappers might not be experts in validating data and there might be
technical issues like bridges/streets that are semantically correct, but
not technically correct (in this example you have to say that one street
passes over another with the layer tag and a bridge tag)

You could consider 22 and 23 as a "quick" mapping. Where as 24 is
correcting technical issues that more experienced users (like andrew and
john :P) can point out/fix problems

--
外に遊びに行こう!