4) There are things that some folks across the country have done to improve their area of the map... would be good to share practices more broadly, in a Canadian context.

Of course all of these can be done in a private organization (eg like Mapbox), but I feel that building an organization to represent the broader community would be more beneficial in the long run.

My 2c.

On 2017-09-28 08:19 AM, Brian Bancroft wrote:
Hi Matthew,

It seems like an interesting idea. I've been travelling a bit lately, and I've found there's a lot of people out there who don't know about OSM where the platform is exactly what they need.

Would a robust OSMCanada spread the Gospel beyond the cities? Would it seek to incorporate local GIS imports on the map with legal support and task management?

Do we know what an incorporated OSMCanada would do that the informal association of really nice and diligent people can't do on their own?

I won't be making SoTMUS this year, but I'd love to hear more about what your aims are with this venture, and the problems you and others believe (or know) it would solve through incorporation and (possibly?) sweet government handouts. I'm guessing that these are the questions you want to crunch out while you're at the gathering of interesting people.

Best wishes and good luck with this endeavour,

Brian