> As stated before, I don't consider the Microsoft dataset being close to
the minimum quality requirements I would expect from any automated
building entry into OSM.

Well yes that is one opinion but we do have a range of opinions in
OpenStreetMap and from the number of buildings that have already been
imported into OpenStreetMap from Microsoft, there seems to be a large
number in the US for example, it would appear there are those who disagree
with you which is not surprising given the number of mappers.

To me the buildings are of more interest once they get enriched with more
tags and the place that happens is in OpenStreetMap.  Streetcomplete I
think is either the most popular editor these days or very close to it.
You can't add tags if the buildings are not in OpenStreetMap.  Yes you can
display the outlines by using the Microsoft data but that does not show
tags such as building type, building levels, etc etc. and streetcomplete is
a tool that can be used to introduce OpenStreetMap to many people.

I think perhaps we should concentrate our efforts on the current import for
the moment but I suspect that some Microsoft buildings will start to be
imported in Canada even if they don't have an official import plan.

Cheerio John