If it becomes over 2000 nodes in a single "way" or shape, it's recommended
to make it a multipolygon. The reason NRCan does this is probably because
it's on the edge of what they call "NTS Tiles" which is a grid that
organizes the data (see forests in Canada
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada#What.27s_with_the_forests_in_Canada.3F).
Importers just didnt join them back in the day, that's all