Hi Nelson,

Probably because it has been cleaned up through Denmark by a single person?
I haven't been part in it, but in my humble opinion it is a better tagging
scheme, simpler and more inline with osm's taxonomy than highway=rest_area.
Highway=rest_area is a weakly described tag, it makes no sense and should
imho be deprecated.

I would suggest that you follow option 1 and try to define a better tagging
scheme for rest areas before trying to consolidate the data. I would
suggest you lean up against the tagging scheme for parking areas suggesting
that rest areas could be tagged as: amenity=rest_area for the area,
highway=service, service=* for the highways inside the area.

Med venlig hilsen
Rasmus Vendelboe