Thomas Wood wrote:
>Sent: 20 February 2009 12:00 AM
>To: Brian Prangle
>Cc: Talk-gb-westmidlands@openstreetmap.org; talk-tran...@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [Talk-gb-westmidlands] [Talk-transit] NAPTAN database

snip

>> Currently the typical tagging of bus stops (from those who really care ;-
>) )
>> in Birmingham follows the pattern here:
>>
>> Node 410393Details
>>
>> ref: 504974
>> route_ref: 104;104A;105;110;112;115;902;904;905;915
>> shelter: yes
>> highway: bus_stop
>> location: Birmingham Road;The Yenton
>> towards: Sutton Coldfield
>>
>> All of which is visible from a survey. Additionally, some bus stops have
>> names such as Acocks Green Village AB. I take it that all this
>information
>> is available in the NAPTAN data
>
>Routes, shelters, no. Towards, yes, to some extent - the bearing at
>which the bus leaves is given.
>Ref depends on where you are, in London, yes, but has to be parsed out
>of the Indicator field, which may be of the form "Stop A, Stand A, or
>A" code has been written for this.
>Surrey has stuff present in the NaptanCode field, the converter also
>takes this into account, Surrey uses free-form Indicator fields, to
>say things like "O/s no. 15"
>I've not yet run the West Mids data through the latest version of the
>converter to see what it does with it/it looks like.
>Names are in the data set.
>I'm not exactly sure what you mean with your location tag, if it's
>whats printed on the bus stop sign, then I've usually tagged as name.
>Since the 'location' is inherent in the node positioning. However,
>NaPTAN does provide data of which street the stop is on, and if it's
>near a junction with another street.

Here is the photo of that stop Brian mentioned above:

http://ajr.hopto.org/osm/SD530488.JPG

Note that my OSM data entry is missing the stuff at the top of the sign
which Brian has been putting under the name tag I believe. Only stops at
major intersections/termini I think have these extra bits of data at the top
of the sign.

And another example showing that they normally use the word "towards" on
most of the west midlands stop signs.

http://ajr.hopto.org/osm/SD530486.JPG

Cheers

Andy