Hi Eike,

I experienced similar problems when I tried to collect traces on
campus. For some reason it seems to be really difficult to get a decent
fix there even when one is standing in the middle of Chancellor's
Court with a very clear view of the sky.

You could try to begin your trace before you enter the campus so that
your gps device has a chance to get a decent fix. I also sometimes have
the impression that accuracy differs depending on the time of day with
the afternoons being particularly bad at Birmingham University (I do
not know if there is any sane explanation for this it is just an
impression I got).

Cheers,
Christoph