On 9 Sep 2009, at 22:06, Christoph Böhme wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Ciarán Mooney <general.moo...@googlemail.com> schrieb:
>
>> I am trying to merge some bus stops on Penns Lane, Sutton Coldfield.
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.53496&lon=-1.81479&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF
>>
>> I have moved them all to the correct position. Some of them were
>> spectacularly off, I was very surprised that the Naptan data was that
>> bad!
>>
>> However on Xoff's little NOVAM viewer I can see they have changed
>> colour to orange and they are incomplete, but I don't know why. What
>> tags are they missing??
>
> I can only see one orange stop which is missing the shelter tag. Did
> you manage to fix the other ones?
>
> The rules for the colouring of the bus stops are as follows:
>
> Bus stops should show up green if they have
>       a highway-tag [1]
>       AND a naptan:AtcoCode-tag
>       AND NO naptan:unverified-tag
>       AND NO naptan:verified=no
>       AND a 'route_ref' tag
>       AND a shelter tag.

Ok, but why is the route_ref tag required? I don't intend to add route
refs to the stops - I am expecting the software to pick that up from
the associated routes. Can you remove that requirement or I might end
up adding null route_ref tags just to make NOVAM useful to be ;)

I am not sure that the shelter tag should be essential. I have added
it if there is a shelter and left it off if there is not. Could you
represent in the symbol if it is a shelter, but not use shelter=yes/no
as a requirement for the stop being green

> A stop is considered a plain naptan stop (blue) if it has
>       NO highway-tag
>       AND a naptan:AtcoCode-tag
>       AND a naptan:unverified-tag OR a naptan:verified=no.

But our import had highway=bus_stop turned on - it would be much more
useful for most people to ignore that tag for this test.

> Plain OSM stops (yellow) must have
>       a highway-tag
>       AND NO naptan:AtcoCode.

Fine

> And finally there is the concept of a physically not present stop
> (grey). This is a bit unfinished as we have not really decided what to
> do with these stops. At the moment a stop classifies as not physically
> present if it has
>       NO highway-tag (to prevent it from showing up on the map)
>       AND a naptan:atcoCode-tag
>       AND a physically_present tag set to 'no'.

This would be very useful to show

> All remaining stops are displayed as an orange stop. This is a bit of
> catch-all which does not actually display merged stops but everything
> that is not explicitely marked finished or *not* merged.

On the basis of the above comments all my stops are orange which is
less that optimal!

>> We could do with some more documentation! And then starting to
>> publicise it maybe?
>
> A number of people started using it (at least I am constantly
> receiving
> error reports when people try to use the not yet implemented
> functions).
>
> After talking to Brian last Thursday I have decided to not develop the
> actual merger any further as merging can easily be done with josm.
> Also, things like stop areas add lots of complexity to the merging
> process and it would be difficult to implement this all. So, I will
> concentrate on improving the viewer which seems to be very helpful.

That sounds good. I found the 'merge' and save buttons rather scary
and wasn't sure if I had merged things or not, and if so how it knew
my user name etc. Personally, a straight viewer seems to be the best
tool. I would click on a stop expecting to see details of its tagging
and the icon would disappear for something to do with merging I later
realised.

Regards,

Peter