The main thing is that they are marked as private access if they are gated.
This way we ensure that the routing engines do not try and use these as
short cuts. If not gated, I would be tempted to mark as unpaved assuming
part or all of the alley is indeed unpaved (I wouldn't worry too much about
the end sections that may be paved where it rejoins the road).

Rob