Maybe we should have a howto section on our wiki which is continuously updated with tips, tricks and methods on doing various things with OSM data.

---
Chaitanya Kuber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
LinkedIn Profile

On 13 Jul 2008, at 22:19, Bob Hawkins wrote:

Out of interest, I have opened the England.shp.zip file that is inhttp://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/great_britain/ , grouped the roads.shp file by Type and ordered it by its count. The result can be seen in the attachment.

I suppose, with so many people contributing, one should be quite pleased that,with the exception of 'unsurfaced', all the counts over 1,000 are valid, according to the JOSM Presets drop down, so far as I can determine.

I wonder, though:
1. could any cleaning up be done (changing footpath to footway, perhaps) 2. does the presence of so many oddities suggest that the use of Keys and Values needs to be more prominent within the OSM website so that users can more readily understand what is acceptable and what is not?

I am a newbie, and I expect experienced users will have more valuable observations and suggestions. I should welcome discussion on this topic.

On a final note: I have found it difficult to readily find answers to all the questions that arise as a newcomer. They are often out there somewhere, usually found by Googling and trolling through countless pages. I do feel it would be such a benefit to people like me to have a structered and detailed Help file in one place.

Bob Hawkins <Street types.csv>