On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Donald Allwright wrote:

> It would seem that being used as a basis for just
> about everything means that no-one else can ever use those data without
> paying the OS a fee.
> Must be a nice little earner for them. Of course OpenStreetMap imposes
> similar restrictions,
> except that paying a fee is replaced with the far less onerous requirement
> for derived works
> to be CC-BY-SA licensed. (Ignoring the issues to do with why we need to
> change the licence
> for now).

Whether or not the CC-BY-SA requirement is less onerous rather depends on
what you're doing with the data.

I haven't looked at any OS licence conditions, but I imagine that if you
derive your data from OS maps, then you can probably combine your data
with another commercial map so long as you continue paying OS a licence
fee.  On the other hand, data derived from OSM must be CC-BY-SA and
combining it with any commercial map would create a derived work which
would need to be CC-BY-SA - it's unlikely that the commercial map supplier
is going to allow this.

Also, I suspect that selling maps is a nice little earner for people such
as the land registry, so licensing them all as CC-BY-SA isn't in their
interest (as much as it may be in the tax payer's interest).

  - Steve
    xmpp:st...@nexusuk.org   sip:st...@nexusuk.org   http://www.nexusuk.org/