I'm aware that there's a school of thought that says there should be a lot
fewer highway tags, with further details in other tags. Can we not rehearse
that debate (please).

I'm assuming the lower change option of keeping the diversity of tags (and
suggesting the addition of a new one between cycleway and footway) precisely
because renderers typically use this diversity. There is a definite
difference between a 2m wide path and a 4m wide path, and I think this is a
distinction that could sensibly be made.

In parallel, moving legal designations to a separate tag, would keep the
highway tag doing almost entirely physical stuff, on a rough-and-ready,
this-is-what-it's-good-for basis.

Richard