On 31 May 2009, at 15:11, Andrew M. Bishop wrote:

Shaun McDonald <sh...@shaunmcdonald.me.uk> writes:

On 29 May 2009, at 20:23, Peter Miller wrote:

On 29 May 2009, at 15:42, Shaun McDonald wrote:

I'm wondering if someone will be able to implement an efficient
version of the snooker ball visualisation on
http://www.cyclestreets.net/blog/2009/03/26/thats-a-really-odd-route/

That's very useful. Is it possible for anyone to view that mapping
view through Cycle Streets?

No due to reasons of poor performance, hence why I'm asking is someone
else would be interested in implementing something similar with far
better performance and global coverage. The original authors would be
really happy to see it implemented elsewhere, as it would bring great
benefits to the OSM data.

As a quick hack I have generated such a map for the UK.

http://www.gedanken.org.uk/mapping/osm-junctions/junctions.html

The junction data comes from Routino[1] and as such not all highway
junctions are included (only highways that are routable).  The
rendering is performed client-side so is rather slow (probably my
Javascript isn't optimum).  The server will only allow downloading a
limited amount of data at a time so I recommend you zoom in to the
highest or penultimate zoom level.

Nice start.

I'd like to be able to zoom in more, particularly in central London. I've also found that clicking "Get Junctions" often gets an area, where only a little bit is visible at the highest zoom, and you have to pan and re-request to get for the current area. I'd also like a permalink, and a link to the osm site for easy editing.

Shaun