On 4 Jun 2009, at 17:11, WessexMario wrote:

>> This page seems to confirm this:
>> http://www.abd.org.uk/know_your_speed_limits.htm
>>

> There is a major problem with using maxspeed=NSL.
> Dual Carriageways.
> How will the applications know that a way is part of a dual
> carriageway
> or is just one oneway way that happens to be near another oneway way?

Here is a proposal for using relations to combine carriageways and
also one for collecting together all the slip-roads into a single
feature called 'junction':-

"To avoid duplication, the name/ref of the street should continue to
be placed on the Ways of the street or in the Relation for the
collected ways of a street. This relationship is only intended as a
hint to renderers that the adjacent ways are actually part of the same
street/road so the name could be positioned between the carriageways
rather than in both, or the road number rendered only once for
adjacent pairs of ways and similar applications.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Dual_carriageways

And this one for interchanges
"The main purpose of the Relation at present is to give renderers or
route planners a name and or number for a junction. It also means that
a staggered cross roads controlled by linked traffic signals can be
grouped into the one junction while still maintaining the geometry of
the streets correctly.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Junctions

Regards,

Peter