On 27/08/09 11:48, Peter Childs wrote:

>> Would it be useful to validate our classification and labelling of roads in
>> OSM against the relevant WIkipedia article[2].
>
> Yes, But I'm still a little unclear from is as to what makes a trunk
> road trunk.

That depends on what you mean...

The definition of trunk used by the DfT is those roads which are
centrally maintained (by the Highways Agency or a commercial entity
under contract to HA) but are not Motorways. These days that is quite a
small set as many former trunk roads have been returned to the county
highway departments.

The OSM definition of trunk (ie the roads to be tagged as highway=trunk)
is wider and includes everything which is part of the Primary Route
Network, ie all green signed A roads.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)