> I use Potlatch where you get a warning. is there not a similar
> procedure
> in JOSM?

I think there is an issue with JOSM where if you download the
relation, then download the ways that make that relation, it isn't
aware of other relations those ways are in. That means if you split
any ways, while JOSM may update the relation you *have* downloaded,
it will also create gaps in all the ones it doesn’t. I've seen this
a lot with boundary relations recently where someone has tried to
improve things in one place but broken a lot of others...

So, in JOSM, don't play with relations unless you are very (very,
very) careful or have downloaded the whole area the relation covers
(is my advice).

Ed