The route_ref tag is extremely useful in the west midlands because all
physical bus stops carry the full list of route numbers visiting the stop on
the sign plate, this makes data gathering on the ground very easy and
generally I don't set up the route relation until I've done all the stops in
an area as its quicker that way. I then just do a search in JOSM and add all
the stops (and ways between them) to make the new relations.

If we obtain route information from any other source then the route_ref on
the stop is useful as a check, some folks are noting that some route numbers
have been changing recently in south/east Birmingham for instance.

Cheers

Andy

"Transport