On 01/04/10 00:06, Phil Monger wrote:

> The streetview announcement is FANTASTIC news for OSM in the UK - as the
> database is pretty much exactly what is being built - roads / streets /
> names , etc.

StreetView is horrible - the vector data will be far more useful.

> We can surely get this as a "backdrop" layer, like the Yahoo imagery?

I suspect that will be the best approach, yes. We'll probably want to
wait for the Vector Map District release in May though as that will be a
better data set than Meridian 2. Of course Boundary Line will also be
useful for tracing and that should be available tomorrow.

All this assume the license is OK of course, which we won't know until
we see it.

> A bulk import wouldn't be possible, as this is raster data. (Though the
> rest of the datasets seem to have a vector element, borders ect)

It's not raster data. Almost all the raster data got left out.

> Exciting times ... I'll finally have some backing for my small
> Lincolnshire village without needing to go out and GPS trace the entire
> place

If it's only a small village then surveying it wouldn't take long anyway
;-) Plus you'll get all sorts of detail that the OS mapping won't have.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/