Put differently -- can anyone think of any specific reason why we
can't start tracing?

The only thing I can think of is to make sure that we are very careful
to include:

source=os_meridian2
source=os_streetview
source=os_etc

Or whatever the particular dataset you are using is, on each way (or
node if applicable) you are editing or creating.

I don't think the suggestion of hampering import work is a real point,
because any import will have to work around all of our other data
anyway -- right?

Just be prepared for the potential that any tracing work done with the
above tags wiped in an import later.

(Note, I am geniunly asking a question above, what does everyone think?...)

Thanks,
JR