>We had a discussion about this point during the Kidderminster mapping
party
>on Saturday. Our decision (relating to the Black Country in our case) was
>that we would use OS OpenData StreetView, especially in partly mapped
areas,
>but we would record some info on the wiki for each area covered so that
we
>know which locations (slices of the cake) need still to have a ground
>survey. It also permits a local mapper to bag a spot for ground surveying
if
>they would prefer to work with a blank canvas. I'd encourage mappers who
are
>tempted to map "off-piste" to document what they are doing on an
appropriate
>wiki page for the area in question. That at least informs others that
come
>along later.

It's an interesting point about OS. There's a mapping party in Andover
(Hants) in a few weeks and my own feeling is that it would be more "fun"
to do on the ground surveying at a pre-arranged party rather than just
copying from OS Street View. I suppose for pure "getting the mapping done"
one should use OS but my own preference is just to use it to check whether
GPS trace artefacts were artefacts(e.g. a kink in a street I surveyed at
Haslemere last week) and to check for blank streets - particularly as one
cannot guarantee the accuracy of the OS data anyway.

Nick