This is kind of the idea I had, but I don't think anyone really has the
ability to be on task force. Often my only barrier would be travel(public
transport) and accommodation costs. For others there are work and family
commitments.

I think I might do some Workington OS tracing around the bridges/river yet
clearly leave most of the town untouched. I have a friend who lives locally
that I want to brag about the bridges too and it might get her interested.
I'll document anything I do on the Cumbria wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cumbria