LESTER

I believe that Shane is saying that historical data, that no LONGER EXISTS
in reality, should HAVE OPT-IN tagging, RATHER than opt-out. If YOU use
standard tagging and add a modifier like closed=2007, then all current
renderers will show YOUR closed footpaths as still existing. If YOU wish to
render a map of HISTORICAL features, then you should use tagging such as
highway=disused_footway so that only people SPECIFICALLY wishing to show
historical features do so.

So yes, by all means I want to keep the data in there. But it should be
recognised as a distinct subset and any standard should reflect that.

--
Christopher Osborne