+1

On 19:59, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
If you've got reasonable non-copyright evidence that there's a PROW
across the field, use designation=public_footpath. If there's a path
that people seem to use, use the highway=path tag (or some other
highway tag if you prefer), and maybe a surface tag. You can have a
OSM way with just a designation tag; it doesn't have to have a highway
tag.
And how would I verify that way on the ground then?
What I tend to do is, if there are 2 stiles at either end with waymarks
on, just draw a straight line between the two. In the absence of other
evidence, it seems the only logical thing to do.

Having said that, I tag highway=path as well as
designation=public_footpath in these cases, even if there's no physical
path on the ground. I do think it's very important to put the designation
in, or at least foot=permissive, so that paths where there is a definite
right to walk along (legal or permissive) are clearly separated from those
which are not.

Nick

--
*/Mike Harris/*