From: Robert Scott <li...@humanleg.org.uk>
To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
Sent: Thu, 13 May, 2010 17:23:08
Subject: [Talk-GB] OS Locator / OSM correspondence list generation

Hi all,

I've been running some countrywide comparisons of the recently released OS
Locator against the streets in OSM, using fuzzy string matching and the
supplied bounding boxes to attempt to match each street in each dataset to one
in the other. It's worked pretty well for most areas I tested. Of the ~826k
named streets in OS Locator, about 424k of them have near perfect matches in
OSM. A few tens of thousands more have what I would call spelling
'disagreements'. The rest of them have bad or no matches at all.

I've put a description of the technique up here along with the preliminary
results:

http://humanleg.org.uk/code/oslmusicalchairs

The thing I really need is suggestions for getting this data to users in a way
that's practical to work with. It's a CSV currently.

Thoughts welcome. So are bug reports of where my matching algorithm has gotten
things wrong.

robert.