Kai,
I think this is a good idea, and a very well presented argument - a push to
get UK OSM coverage up would make the uk dataset more useful (more chance of
being able to search for an address etc.).

I think it would be worth treating a 'blind' tracing (as opposed to tracing
an area that you know, but have not surveyed) a bit like an import and
adding a 'verified=no' tag.   Then when someone on the ground visits the
area they can update the 'verified' tag - we could even create a map overlay
to highlight the unverified areas to encourage 'on the ground' surveys to
add the extra detail that makes OSM maps more interesting than others.

Regards

Graham.

Dr. Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK