I support the main idea of the thread and the need for good
sourcing... I think if the source tag is provided the verified=no tag
is redundant? Isn't the source tag sufficient indication of the
credibility of the way?

I've found the combination of StreetView and OS Locator can result in
good named road coverage for 'armchair mapping'. I often end up with
ways tagged:

source=OS_OpenData_StreetView
source:name=OS_OpenData_OSLocator

Craig