At risk of being a fly in the ointment, judging by the largely
favourable responses to this idea, I for one would like to register
myself as
-1.
<Rant> Please don't map an area if you are not familiar with it. I have
done some armchair mapping, but only where I am familiar with the area,
and feel I can add value to the data I am entering. If you are that
desperate for a 'complete' map, go out and do more surveying, or just
use OS or other commercially available products.  I just feel that
blatant, blind copying of OS data is prostituting what I thought Open
Street Map was meant to be about.</Rant>
OK, I've got my tin hat on: standing by for incoming... ;-)

Phil.

talk-gb-requ...@openstreetmap.org wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 12:07:33 +0100
> From: Kai Krueger <kakrue...@gmail.com>
> Subject: [Talk-GB] UK Project of the week - trace a village off of
>       OSSV?
> To: 'talk-gb' <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to suggest as a sort of "Project of the week" for the UK
> for people to pick a random town or village somewhere in the UK that so
> far has poor coverage and trace it's roads from OS OpenData StreetView.
>
> Despite the various claims over the years that the UK road will be "road
> complete" by the "end of the year", the UK is still a far distance off
> of that target. I have heard the numbers that so far we have on the
> order of 50% of named roads (people who are working on OS - OSM
> comparisons please correct me if I am wrong). Which is by no means a
> small feat of achieving, but also not as high as one would like it to be.
>
> So let us try and accelerate this a bit by everyone picking a small
> random town or village somewhere in the UK and trace the roads from
> StreetView. It probably only takes about 10 - 20 minutes for a small
> village and even a small town isn't too bad to do (if the weather is bad
> and you can't go out). So with the help of OS data, we can get a big
> step closer to where we would like to be and use it as a basis to
> continue to improve beyond the quality of OS data or any other
> commercial map provider.
>
> (If you are convinced already, then no need to read the rest of the email)
>
> I know that many people are opposed to "armchair mapping" or imports
> (and btw I am not proposing a full scale import here, but manual tracing
> instead) and so I'd like to counter some of the arguments most likely
> going to  be brought up against this sort of non local tracing:
>
> 1) OS data might have mistakes, be outdated and generally not as good as
> what OSM aims for: Yes, no doubt OS has errors and can be outdated in
> many places by a couple of years ( I have found more than enough of
> those myself). Furthermore, all of the OS products released lack many of
> the properties we are interested in like one way roads, turn and other
> restrictions, POIs, foot and cycle ways and all the other things that
> make OSM data such a rich and valuable dataset. So yes, the OS data will
> clearly not replace any of the "traditional" OSM surveying techniques or
> be the end of things. But it can be a great basis to build upon.
> As a comparison, have a look (assuming you have a timecapsal ;-)) at
> what the data of e.g. central London looked like in 2007. It already had
> surprisingly many roads, but hardly any POIs or other properties that we
> aim for now. Most of that came later in many iterations of improvement.
> A single pass of "OSM" surveying is not any better than the OS data per
> se. Also given that the errors introduced by tracing OS data are exactly
> [...]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100606-0, 06/06/2010
Tested on: 06/06/2010 22:13:39