On 6 June 2010 22:13, Phil James <peerja...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> ...........I just feel that blatant, blind copying of OS data is
> prostituting what I thought Open
> Street Map was meant to be about.</Rant>
> OK, I've got my tin hat on: standing by for incoming... ;-)
>
> Phil.

I've got a lot of sympathy for that view. The UK map owes a huge amount to
individuals trudging along the streets and footpaths/paths/etc of Britain.
Mapping Parties have created community, and were responsible for the
detailed mapping of many areas.

But..... OpenStreetMap is a project to create and provide free geographic
data, such as streets maps, to anyone who wants them. That is why I
contribute. "Blatant, blind, copying of OS Data" allows us to provide more
detailed geographic data which satisfies the aim of the project. The OS data
is been treated as a replacement and hard work isnt being deleted. The OS
data is only being used to add data that is not currently present, or to
mark up blunders.

 I have no emotional attachment to the data gathering process, whether it be
Mapping Parties, Yahoo tracing, or imports. They are simply a means to an
end, to be discarded if a better method comes along.

The big question is whether importing OS Data means we'll never see the
addition of data normally providing by OpenStreetMap streetwalkers. I'd like
to think that an almost complete Streetmap will mean a massive increase in
use of OpenStreetMap and those new users will add the missing POI.

Jason