..."Ed Avis wrote on 08/06/2010 12:40:

>> It doesn't give explicit permission to distribute under CC-BY, (it
>> actually gives much wider permission), it simply notes that using a
>> CC-BY licence properly works for them.
>>
> I think it certainly does give permission.  See the bit with 'you may...'
> If they had written 'This means that you may turn up at Ordnance Survey
> headquarters with a can of spraypaint and write FREE DATA NOW on the door',
> well in that case, it would be giving permission to do that.
>
> If they say 'this means that you can do X', then they are giving you
> permission to do X!

Sorry I was being annoyingly pedantic, in the sense that the permission
was granted in the sense that it had already granted wider permissions
than CC-BY, and that the CC-BY clause was a helpful footnote ("This
means that..." is a lead into an explanation rather than the actual
permission which was granted).

The point I was making was that there is no need for dual licensing the
terms of the licence are extremely broad and go far wider than CC-BY so
it is pointless to be concerned to much about CC-BY. OSM already
acknowledges the copyright source, but is ambiguous in the text. CC-BY
2.0 clearly states that:

" If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works,
You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work..."

While it is implicit that the copyright notices should be maintained by
the CC-BY text, the OSM licence text on the main page does not reflect
that mandatory requirement, it appears to confuse copyright with
attribution.

Spenny