David Groom wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shane Reynolds" <shane...@gmail.com>
To: <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] The last 2%

Hi,

I am the developer who works on a number of products including OSM Analysis
for ITO.

I am slightly confused about making the OS Locator box a dashed box if the not:name tag is present. When we do the processing if any street is found with the not:name tag matching an OS Locator street then these should not be
flagged in the stats nor should they be drawn on the map. Are you saying
that this is not the case and they are still appearing? If this is true then
possibly there is a bug that I may want to address (we are usually a day
behind the updated planet file so possibly its something to do with that?)

With regard to getting the figures down (in slight fear of being flamed as I
am a very novice mapper) - with apostrophes, if the road sign has an
apostrophe then I would say the apostrophe should be in OSM and if it is not then it is correct to flag it as a difference. However if the road sign does
not have an apostrophe and OS Locator does then probably the road should
have a not:name tag added with the apostrophe version of the name. This
would remove any apostrophe issues. With regard to rural roads - if they
have no road signs is it not better to use the OS Locator name rather than have no name at all as I think in general OS Locator has been proved to be pretty accurate? (apologies if in my ignorance I do not know that there is a
good reason not to do this).

There is one pretty good reason.

OS opendata is released under a CC-BY-SA licence

Please go and actually read the OS OpenData licence. It is not CC-BY-SA. Please stop spreading this FUD.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly