Indeed.  The Ordnance Survey name is often wrong too.  My point was simply that
both OS and the street signs put up by the council are fallible, so finding the
right name isn't always a case of just copying what it says on the sign.  That
is one reason why I am reluctant to spend effort rechecking apostrophe
questions - they are very difficult to nail down exactly!  The other reason, of
course, is that the presence or absence of an apostrophe makes little difference
to OSM's usefulness to anyone, so the limited time we all have to go out mapping
is better spent on things that have a higher return.

(I have in the past used local histories to help: if a road was named after a
fellow called Peter then clearly Peter's Lane is right not Peters Lane.  But not
all cases can be resolved this way - and again, I'd rather spend time on
something more useful and marginally less pedantic.)

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>