----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Fairhurst" <rich...@systemed.net>
To: <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] OS have switched to Open Government License today...

Mike Collinson wrote:
Also, if you are wanting to click the magic button because you have
been holding back with OS data in your contributions ... David Groom
has just pointed out that the OS have not released their data under
the Open Government License at all but their own license which
"incorporates the Open Government License" ... see my separate
email cc'd from legal-talk.

For the purposes of signing the CTs this doesn't matter.

OS's OGLified licence remains compatible with the ODbL, because of the
express ODC compatibility clause (which is mentioned in the OS blog
posting).

Therefore it is compatible with version 1.2.3 of the Contributor Terms which
state "You are indicating that, as far as You know, You have the right to
authorize OSMF to use and distribute those Contents under our current
licence terms" and that you grant rights to OSMF "to the extent that you are
able to do so".

Richard

I simply don't follow the logic of you giving more legal weight to a blog posting than you give to the actual licence.

I know we're going to have to differ on this point, but I give more weight to the actual licence that the OS have posed on their web site.

Regards

David

cheers
Richard