On 19/01/2011 09:55, James Davis wrote:
- Tools using the data won't easily be able to parse a freeform fixme tag.
'highway=motorway;fixme=highway tag clearly wrong, please correct' being a good
example.
But it's humans and not machines that edit the map. The fixme is for humans to read. However ...

I've come across a few combinations recently of ways being tagged
'foo=bar;fixme=foo is wrong, please check'.

If you know that the foo tag is definitely incorrect; isn't it better to remove
it completely?
... personally I'd remove tags that I know to be wrong (or set them to a best guess), but make sure that there's a "note" or "fixme" that says what foo had been previously. That way the map's correct to the best of my knowledge, and other people with more knowledge are encouraged to share that.

- I can't easily tell if actually foo used to be baz instead of bar and had
already been corrected by someone who didn't notice or change the fixme tag.
Fair point - and likely to become more of an issue with newer editors. For example, the "simple" editor in P2 doesn't show either "note" or the way ID (it is supposed to be "simple" after all; the "advanced" editing view does show both).