James Davis wrote:
Dealing with 'disused' was nice and easy - I have deleted disused locks
altogether and changed disused canals to a fainter, dotted line (see just north
of Carnforth near Lancaster).  I am not sure I have ever seen a 'disused' canal
- does this mean a ditch, or just an overgrown, impassable canal?
Varies a lot, there's one that passes near my house and there's no sign that it
ever existed, it's route has been tarmaced over forms part of a residential
street. Further out of town it varies from a small gap between hedgerows (again
not easily recognisable as a canal) to a ditch, to sections that still contain
water and remnants of locks. From aerial photographs; the breaks in
developments caused by the canal make the route very obvious.

Having seen the state of SOME of the canals that are now reopened it's a little difficult to say that just because you can't currently see it that it will not re-appear at some stage. It's a little like the disused railways. If some group decide that it's worth reopening then the historic data of where it used to run may well be of use.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL