There are also long sections of the Grantham Canal which are Nature  Reserves:
there's a fantastic stretch in the Vale of Belvoir with masses  of interesting
aquatic vegetation and in late May, early June a  remarkable range of
dragonflies and damselflies. There are some  conflicts in tagging between this
sort of disused canal and its current  use: although I haven't investigated
them
recently. I think the main one  was that a disused canal full of water is very
different from one which  is dry: but from a naturalists perspective the fact
that the water body  is a canal rather than catch-all natural=water is
significant.

There  are several other stretches of disused/abandoned canal also around
Nottingham, these include: the disused Derby Canal (very apparent at its  W end
near Swarkestone,  less apparent at its E end near Sandiacre), stretches of the
Nottingham  Canal (some of which is occupied by the culverted River Leen, and
lock 6  (I think) is used by NCN 6 to pass under the ring-road), the Nutbush
Canal, the E end of the Cromford Canal, and some very early canals  serving
collieries which have completely disappeared. I don't propose to  map any of
these in the near future, but there is plenty of remaining  infrastructure for
the observant to find.

Certainly the Grantham  Canal is a good place to clarify how to tag canals in
various states of  disuse: potentially to satisfy differing wants of, inter
alia,  the waterway map completists, waterway restoration types, cyclists,
walkers, fishermen (not many in OSM I think) and naturalists.

I'd  also second TomH: there are lots of things showing as navigable which
look
odd: Cromford Canal from Cromford to Ambergate (now a nature  reserve, and
possibly an SSSI), the Loddon S of Twyford. The Trent appears to be
unnavigable
between Nottingham and Newark. There are several fast  flowing rivers in
Scotland deemed navigable, like the one to the W of  Loch Tulla. I presume that
we have a consensus that boat=yes does not  included canoes, paper boats, pooh
sticks, or even a small rowing boat  or dingy?

Anyway thanks to Chris for persistence in asking the  question, and Graham for
the visualisation: no doubt a few things will  be fixed soon.

Jerry