Ed Avis wrote:
Lester Caine<lester@...>  writes:

Many search engines, even map based ones, have used 'EX13 7##' based
data until quite recently. In the absence of anything better it was
all that was available.  NOW we do at least have the finer detail
coordinate data from OS even if it does not give real road
names. THAT is at least better for looking up 'xx within a 20 mile
radius' where the previous options may well have only had 50 mile
accuracy.

Ah!  I thought that the EX13 7## results _were_ the Code Point Open
data.  Perhaps because they seemed to appear on the OSM website at
about the same time as the Opendata release first came out.

But yes, I see that the OS data set is much better than I thought - it
has positions for every single postcode.

So replacing the course data with finer lookup is at least a step
forward.

Yes, I think postcode search is an important application for OSM, so
it would be great to import this data so that Nominatim and other
searches can use it.  That would supersede the current approximate
lookup based on FreeThePostcode.

That is - I believe - where the EX13 7## data actually came from.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL