On 1 March 2011 13:31, Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxf...@gmail.com>wrote:

> A new page seems to have appeared on the wiki:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Tagging_Guidelines
>
> This states a preference for highway=path+foot=designated over
> highway=footway (etc).
>
> I don't remember this being discussed or agreed, but my memory could
> be failing me.
>
> I think the article should probably state existing usage (based on
> tagwatch), rather than promote minority alternatives.
>
> Views?

I'm with you, I don't remember that debate ever being resolved. So far as I
am concerned, the original tagging using highway=footway/cycleway/bridleway
etc. remains in place until such a time as we have a democratic process that
can replace it with a new schema.

I also happen to loathe the fussy highway=path;foot=designated etc. tagging,
which is a separate point.

Tom