On 16/03/2011 18:00, Peter Miller wrote:

My understanding is that the signed speed limits are those that must be obeyed by those classes of vehicles that are not limited by some other rule. I don't consider that we need to do more that we are which is to reflect the street sign in the data.
It'll be the lower of the signed speed limit and the limit for the vehicle class.

IIRC the "national speed limit" is 30mph in a "built-up area" (i.e. even if there is no speed limit sign) which is defined based on the distance between the street lights. Assuming this still applies, you can't infer that the effective speed limit on a single-carriageway road segment is 60mph unless you have been out with your trundle wheel and plotted all the street lights.