On 16 March 2011 17:38, Colin Smale <colin.sm...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 16/03/2011 18:00, Peter Miller wrote:
>

>> My understanding is that the signed speed limits are those that must be
>> obeyed by those classes of vehicles that are not limited by some other rule.
>> I don't consider that we need to do more that we are which is to reflect the
>> street sign in the data.
>>
> It'll be the lower of the signed speed limit and the limit for the vehicle
> class.
>
> IIRC the "national speed limit" is 30mph in a "built-up area" (i.e. even if
> there is no speed limit sign) which is defined based on the distance between
> the street lights. Assuming this still applies, you can't infer that the
> effective speed limit on a single-carriageway road segment is 60mph unless
> you have been out with your trundle wheel and plotted all the street lights.

This rule goes back to 1934 when speed limits were re-introduced and the
government didn't want to wait for signs to be installed at every transition
from rural to town (and couldn't afford to do so). Incidentally, the need
for street lighting in towns seems to have been provide by the 1875 Public
Heath Act
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/learning/bitesize/standard/history/1830_1930/public_health_rev3.shtml

Are there still examples of roads where there is no sign (other than
indirectly provided by the presence of street lighting) to indicate that one
is entering a 30 mph zone? I can't help feeling that in the past 87 years
that signs will have been placed in most if not all of these places if only
because they are likely to be very much more effective than a row of lamp
posts at getting people to slow down!

This article has useful definitions of built-up area  and talks about the
rules for repeater signs, but makes no mention of the initial signs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Built-up_area_%28Highway_Code%29

Regards,

Peter