Resurrecting an old thread I know but with the NSPD Open data also being
available allowing Northern Ireland to be generated and having access to an
otherwise idle 64bit server I've taken the opportunity to revisit this, and
have successfully created the shapefiles (it only took the server 12 days to
generate the blighters - it managed to generate Z16 tiles for the whole of
Europe and Z18 for the British Isles in just 36 hours - meh!) but now have
one more obstacle to overcome...

The Veroni thingy obviously generates the tiles so they butt up against one
another which works perfectly here in the landlocked East Midlands, but goes
somewhat wrong in coastal areas (Fig 1).

My thought here is that the "World Boundaries" shape file can be used to
trim the coastal boundaries to be locked to land so that the map looks
"nice" (i.e. postcodes don't end up in the sea save for a little overlap on
beaches) - Indeed if you add the World Boundaries file to Quantum GIS and
use the "Clip Tool" you end up with what visually looks correct ( Fig. 3)
but if you then hide the World Boundaries file the problem becomes obvious
(Fig 2.)

What I want to know, is it possible to trim the postcode shapes so that
nothing outside another set of shapes (i.e. the British Isles landmass) is
included, but instead of leaving gaps the postcode shapes (e.g. FY3 1) are
adjusted so that the line runs along the coast line?  i.e. I would be left
with something visually the same as Fig. 3 but with the coastlines part of
the NNXX-X shapefile layer, and more specifically the correct polygon (e.g.
the FY3 1 polygon).

Kev

Fig 1 - Postcode areas in south west Lancashire and the north Wales coast
(green = NNXX-X shapefile, blackline and dotted area uses the
worldboundaries file)
http://kjs.me.uk/3rdparty/osm/SouthWestLancs-NNXX-X.png

Fig 2 - After using Quantum GIS's "Clip" tool -
http://kjs.me.uk/3rdparty/osm/SouthWestLancs-NNXX-X_trimmed.png

Fig 3 - After adding the "World Boundaries" back on. -
SouthWestLancs-NNXX-X_trimmed_withwb.png

*Open Street Map data licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share
Alike 2.0 license <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/> by the
OpenStreetMap <http://openstreetmap.org/>* project and its contributors. *Maps
contain Ordnance Survey
OpenData<http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/>© Crown
copyright and database right 2010.
* *Postcode data in Great Britain is provided by Code-Point Open which
contains Royal Mail data © Royal Mail copyright and database right
2010.* *Postcode
data in Northern Ireland is from the NSPD
Open<http://www.ons.gov.uk/about-statistics/geography/products/geog-products-postcode/nspd/>which
contains National Statistics data © Crown copyright and database right
2010. *